Saturday, May 30, 2009

you can teach english, right?

One of the first projects we are supose to do as PCVs is called CAT, which is basically a community needs assessment project. I am suppose to interview 50 or so families and find out what sort of long term porojects I can develop over the next two years. We give a presentation at our reconnect conference in a few months with our counterpart and then give the presentation again to our community. Anyways, during my interviews with the families (the ones that actually agree to talk to me...I think most people think I am a missionary or something), I inevitably talk about what I am doing in the community. I give the whole thing about community gardens, working on the irrigation canal, small businesses, and then I mention casually that I am willing to help out with english classes, or atleast tutor people who want help.

Usually people just smile and nod until I tell them that I am willing to help their son, daughter and themselves with english, then they perk up like it is christmas morning. ¨clases de ingles, en serio?¨ is usually the typical response. And word has gotten around town that the gringo is willing to help out with english, so this has given me something to do on top of the other stuff i am working on. I have to remind my fellow san lorenzons (i am sure that is what they are called) that i willing to help and tutor but that I am NOT an english teacher. It certainly has been a learning experience for me as one day I am helping a 10 year old kid who basically knows nothing to a 29 year old woman who can read and write but needs help speaking. I am trying not to make this my number one goal here but it has helped fill out the schedule and hopefully some of the kids will use it later in the their lives.

As far as the other projects go, i have my own demonstration garden going and have had a few workdays getting the community garden going at the local health center. Also, we have had a few mingas (workdays) on the canal outside of san lorenzo, avalanches of dirt get into the canal as must be cleaned out with many of the following combination: shovel, pick, hoe, 35 to 40 ecuadorians, one tall gringo. Any of these combinations will suffice to cleaning out a canal. Make sure that it is really hot while you´re at it.

Other than that, I am just trying to intergrate with my community, really try to get to know the locals, it has been fun at times, awkward at others and plain hilarious when you see people who are afraid to talk to you sober but when they are drunk (usually sundays), they absolutely love slurring their spanish to the new gringo.

Till next time

4 comments:

  1. It sounds like you are enjoying your time there. I am glad that you are there, I don't know anyone else that would be better suited for that job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sundays sound like a good time, what are they drinking down there?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's funny they think you're a missionary. Eh man, get saved by shoveling poop with the tall gangly gringo...drink up it's Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. they drink a lot of pilsener...it is about the only beer they have down here, it tastes like a typical light beer. Oh also, lots of trago, which is like a coconut rum and it doesn´t give you hangovers

    ReplyDelete