Saturday, May 2, 2009

The next step

After nearly a 10 month application process (how many times did I have to go to the dentist?), then a 5 month wait after learning that I would be going to Ecuador and 9 weeks of training, I am officially a Peace Corps Volunteer! It is...finally...here. Omnibus 101 swore in last wednesday at the ambassador´s office in Quito in the lawn in front of the building. I have mixed feelings about it. On the one hand, I am exciting about getting to my site, integrating into the community and continuing some projects however I will miss my fellow volunteers from 101 that I have gotten to know pretty well over the last 9 weeks. Anyways, I guess all good things must come to an end as I get ready to the real Peace Corps experience. I got into San Lorenzo on Thursday, a day after the swear-in celebration...I´m not going to lie...the 6 hour bus ride wasn´t the greateast experience I have had ;-). Anyways, I am excited to be here and glad that training is over (another safety and security session and I don´t know what I would have done...)
We spent three days in Quito before heading out, it was kind of crazy because Ecuador just had its presidential elections and Rafael Correa got re-elected, which is apparently the first time that has happend in the last 40 years. There have been 8 presidents in the last 10 years...so stability might be a good thing. I don´t know too much about Correa so I won´t comment on it, but it seems opinions are mixed. The interesting thing is that when we were in Quito, we were all standing on a street corner and a guy told us that ¨Correa was coming around the corner and we couldn´t cross the street¨. Not 30 seconds later, a caravan rolls by and Correa passes us by with his window down not 5 feet away. I was dissapointed I didn´t get a pic but I did wave as us and ask us where we were from. Ahhh, the glamarous life of a peace corps volunteer!

Anyways, I got an address at my site, if you want to send me something (letters, paperbacks, non perishable food would be appreciated). Just don´t declare anything and limit it to under 4.4 pounds (4 pounds to be safe), I don´t want to go to customs to pick it up.

Josh Raser
Casilla 02-01-32
Guaranda, Ecuador
South America

till next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment