Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Back in Ecuador

I ended up going home to southern California for Christmas and new years and you always hear about the term ¨culture shock¨, in which a person who has been living abroad comes home after awhile and is in shock at everything. Being home for two and a half weeks, there were some moments where it felt weird, but then again, growing up and living in southern California, you can´t be too shocked after living in a Latin American country and coming home. Seeing as how half of the kids that I spoke to at my mom´s middle school speak Spanish, there really isn´t too much culture shock in there.
It definitely felt good to be home (or close to it) for two and a half weeks and not eat white rice twice a day and see all of my family and friends for Christmas and new years. Though it did not feel like I was back in the United States, more like on a vacation and I was at LAX again back on a plane back to Ecuador. On my first leg of my trip back to Ecuador, I got bumped up to first class (first time ever!) because a family wanted to sit together and I was taking one of the spots. However, my flight left at 1:30AM so I couldn´t really enjoy all the immenities of a first class passenger because I wanted to sleep the whole time. Though I must say the leg room was a nice plus and the breakfast Belgian waffles were superb! Plus all the evil stares from the economy class passengers as they walked by made me feel like a pompous trust fund kid, so that’s always fun!
So now its back my little pueblo of San Lorenzo as I am going to try to make one final push here in these last few months to make a positive impact on the community. There will not be another gringo or gringa coming in to fill my spot in May so I would really like to put my ¨stamp¨ on the community while ALSO trying to find a job in this wonderful whimisical world we call the US economy.

No comments:

Post a Comment