Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Cuy Shit

I guess the one thing to make you stick out in a town of 1,000 Ecuadorians if you aren´t already an over 6 feet gringo is to go around town with your peace corps buddy and pick up animal shit with a shovel and a wheelburrow. Sounds like good times on a saturday afternoon, huh? We actually had a good reason for this besides the pure entertainment we caused the onlookers. Our group that lives in Pesillo officially started a garden project (which everyone does) and it is currently taking place at mi casa. Our garden should have the best compost pile because A) we have cuy (guinea pigs for the gringos) shit, which has the most nutrients in it B) we have egg shells, C) because during a field trip everyone else was giving us their wasted food scraps, indirectly helping our cause, and D) because we are badasses, duh.
We spent all day saturday working as group with the help of a few neighborhood kids (mi hermanito, Paul, is a great worker by the way) and tilled the soil with hoes and raised the beds. It is amazing what one day of working can do when everyone is working together. I am really excited about this garden. I will post pictures of that and my house and the nieghborhoood where I live in next time...if I remember. Other than that, things are moving along. I should find out where I am living for the next two years in a couple of weeks, I am really excited about that. Some of the meeting that the Peace Corps have are very thorough...if you catch my drift, but it is in our best interest I guess. I am learning more than I ever wanted to know manure and compost, but it should help me in the long term with whatever my project calls for.

Ciao

1 comment:

  1. Yeah man, shoveling shit is always fun. Keep up the good work

    ReplyDelete